Iran enriched more uranium than what a UN watchdog reported

by ian

Ian Patrick, FISM NEWS

 

Iran’s nuclear chief recently announced that the nation has developed 120 kilograms of 20 percent enriched uranium, which is much more than what the United Nations nuclear watchdog reported for the month of September.

The International Atomic Energy Agency reported that Iran had made 84.3 kilograms of this specific uranium as of August 31, 2021. During an interview with state TV, Mohammad Eslami who runs the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran reportedly claimed that much more was made compared to the UN estimates.

He reportedly said that they had to produce it themselves because it used to be delivered to them under the Obama-era Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) which Trump abandoned in 2018. Eslami claimed that without this uranium in supply “this would have turned into one of our problems.”

Under the JCPOA, Iran was not allowed to enrich anything above 3.67 percent.

The international community sees this as a significant concern since the development of uranium brings Iran one step closer to nuclear weapons capabilities. It is believed that a nuclear bomb could be created with at least 170 kilograms of 20 percent enriched uranium.

The JCPOA aimed to incentivize Iran in return for curbs on their uranium enrichment up to certain percentages. Trump cut the deal and called it “defective at its core” opting to place sanctions on Iran instead. Since then Iran has blatantly overstepped the deal, even giving the UN a warning that it would be over-stepping the deal.

Since then the UN has tried to reestablish the deal, attempting to include both Iran and the U.S. However, Iran refuses to join until the sanctions are lifted which the US has not done. The White House has further indicated they will not consider lifting sanctions unless Iran provides certifiable support that they will adhere to the deal.

Iran has since denied the UN access to their nuclear programs even though they reached a preliminary deal with them.

The US says that it will still commit to talks with Tehran but have backup plans in case the negotiations were to dissolve.

Leave a Comment

DONATE NOW